First, I would highly recommend that you download the app “Trayminder”, which helps you manage your treatment. Download links here:
**CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: if you cannot get into see us, please get up to your last aligner and wear that at night time only. **
- Always start a new set of aligners before bedtime; brush and floss your teeth as normal and then put the aligners in. There is one exception to not starting a new set before bedtime; you will be given your new set of aligners to wear immediately after the attachments stage.
- You will develop an efficient technique for taking them in and out; you will find that they go straight in, or may need to be inserted or removed on the left or right side first. You will master this quickly, but please be aware that it can take a week or so for the aligners to bed in. Your tongue or cheeks may be sore; you can use wax, but this does settle. Do not worry about lisping for the at the beginning, this passes very quickly.
- Wear the aligners 22 hours per day. Change every 2 weeks at the beginning, unless told otherwise.
- If you lose or damage an aligner please contact us. We will most likely advise to go back to the previous aligner, or jump to the next one.
- Use the chewies as in the photo, grinding and clenching firmly, in the morning and before bedtime ; any other time is a bonus. The purpose of the chewies is to ensure that the aligners fit correctly. They will not fit correctly if you do not use chewies, and, your teeth will not move as planned. Keep your chewies in your box.
- Self-monitoring of your progress; please look at the following photos, contact us if your aligner is like the second image:
- When you clean your teeth, clean your aligners with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- We provide a sample of cleaning tablets, use them once or twice a week, additional tablets can be purchased online or at a Chemist.
- You can drink water with the aligners in, do not drink tea, coffee or red wine.
AFTER ATTACHMENTS & IPR (POLISHING BETWEEN TEETH)
- The technique for insertion and removal may be different, take care in the first few days because there is a chance that you can pull an attachment off. If this happens please contact us. Carry on wearing your aligner, do not move to the next one unless we advise.
- A reminder to use the chewies as indicated above.
- You may notice gaps between the teeth that may trap food, so maintain an excellent standard of oral hygiene. The gums can also be tender, but all of this settles very quickly.
- Change your aligners every 7 days. If they feel tight on that 7th day, then change every 10 days. In refinement stage change the aligners every 5 days; you may not notice much pressure on the teeth in this phase if treatment.